How many characters can a domain name have?
Domain names can have up to 63 characters, including the letters a to z, numbers 0 to 9, and hyphens. Some domain names do have restrictions on minimum characters.
You could even choose something like can-have-up-to-63-characters.com for your domain name.
You will sometimes find references to 67 characters in domain names. This includes the dot and the letters c-o-m as an additional 4 characters.
The valid characters for use in all domain name are:
- Any of the letters a to z (for example, abc.co.nz).
- Any numbers 0 to 9 (for example, 111.co.nz).
- You may also use a hyphen (-) (for example, abc-example.com).
- The domain can be a combination of numbers, letters and hyphens.
- The domain can begin and end in a number (for example, 1to100.com).
A domain name is your unique address on the Internet and says a lot about who you are and what you do. We recommend to all customers keeping the domain short and not using any hyphens for best results.